Senior Centers Dining & Activities
Congregate dining is provided at four nutrition sites in the county: Birchwood, Minong, Shell Lake, and Spooner. Diners can partake of low-cost, nutritionally balanced meals in a warm atmosphere where they can enjoy being with other people and gain access to social activities.
Serving times vary depending on the site.
Call to Make Meal Reservations
Reservations are required 24 hours in advance and may be made at the following centers::
Birchwood - "Lakeside Center for Seniors"
110 Euclid Avenue, Birchwood, WI 54817
Minong - "Minong Senior Center"
700 Houston Street, Minong, WI 54859
Shell Lake - "Friendship Commons"
210 4th Avenue, Shell Lake, WI 54871
Spooner - "Our Neck of the Woods"
402 Oak Street, Spooner, WI 54801
Meal Cost - We accept Food Share (Quest Card)
Age 60 and Older: Suggested Donations $4.00
Under Age 60: Full cost of Meals $11.00
*Under Age 60 or Disabled – Please contact the Nutrition Program Director at 715-635-4460
No eligible participant will be denied a meal based on ability to contribute to the cost of the meal.
Senior Center Activities
All four Senior Centers allow participants to greet long-time friends and meet new ones. Activities include but are not limited to crafts, birthday parties, potluck dinners, aerobics, stitchery, singing, bingo, and card games.
Home Delivered Meals
Our Home Delivered Meals Program assures that homebound seniors receive adequate nutritious meals and receive some regular personal contact. With increasing numbers of frail elderly and shortened hospital stays, home-delivered meals have become a critical component of the growing community service system. The same meals enjoyed at the senior dining sites are delivered to the homes of the elderly who are homebound and not able to cook.
Eligibility: Guidelines must be met to sign up for Home Delivered meals. For more information or to sign up, please contact the Nutrition Program Director at 715-635-4460.
As of 01/24/22, these are the current Elder Nutrition meal options being offered in Washburn County, Wisconsin. Washburn County will continue the additional new option of Grab & Go, as long as the Older American’s Act allows for, food is available, and staff are capable of providing, during COVID.
We will offer eleven (11) options for receiving a meal:
- Home Delivered Meals for lunch.
- Congregate meal for lunch, eating inside meal sites.
- Congregate meal for lunch at site with outdoor seating provided, when weather permits.
- Meal for lunch with a Grab & Go option. Washburn County will continue the additional new option of Grab & Go, as long as the Older American’s Act allows for, food is available, and staff are capable of providing, during COVID.
- Dining at Five congregate meal for dinner, eating inside site.
- Dining at Five congregate dinner at site with outdoor seating provided, when weather permits.
- Dining at Five meal for dinner Grab & Go option. Washburn County will continue the additional new option of Grab & Go, as long as the Older American’s Act allows for, food is available, and staff are capable of providing, during COVID.
- Senior Social Events offsite at green space location with Dinner & Entertainment. Plan will include to offer both indoor and outdoor seating option.
- Rise n’ Dine Breakfast at Economart Deli is currently suspended, due to lack of the required staffing for this program.
- Introduce new option of a congregate meal which is fully or partially prepared in front of participants, as cooking class, to provide Nutrition Education. These will be done in coordination with the Stepping Up Your Nutrition Instructor, University of Wisconsin-Madison Division of Extension FoodWIse Coordinator, Nutritionists, and Guest Chefs.
- Introduce new option for Home Delivered Meal Participants who are not able to attend the congregate setting, but would like to interact with the congregate participants. They will have the opportunity to attend virtually with the ability to see, hear, and talk to their friends. If needed, we will provide them with the use of a Facebook Portal and mobile hotspot.