Economic Support & Wisconsin Works (W-2) Units
Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Information & Services
- Food Share
- BadgerCare Plus
- Medicaid Purchase Plan (MAPP)
- Child Care
- Wisconsin Works (W-2)
- Energy Assistance Program (WHEAP)
- Washburn County Housing
- State Home Repair Assistance
- Regional Housing Information Sheet (pdf)
Food Share: Maintain a healthy diet!
Supplement your food budget. You may qualify for Food Share to provide assistance in purchasing food for good nutrition. Participation in employment programs may be required.
Read more on Wisconsin FoodShare...
To apply online visit:
Medicaid: Health Care Coverage
You may qualify for Medicaid if you meet the financial eligibility requirements and are in one of the following categories:
- Age 65 or older
- Blind or disabled.
Read more on Medicaid...
To apply online visit:
Badger Care Plus
BadgerCare is a Medicaid program to provide health care coverage for uninsured and low-income families. By insuring both children and their parents, BadgerCare Plus makes it easier for parents to create a happy and healthy family life.
To be Eligible:
- You must have children under age 19 living with you.
- Your income must be within the guideline limits.
- There is no limit on assets.
- You must not be covered by health insurance.
- Some families will need to pay a premium.
Read more on BadgerCare Plus...
To apply online visit:
Medicaid Purchase Plan (MAPP)
The Medicaid Purchase Plan offers people with disabilities who are working or interested in working the opportunity to buy health care coverage through the Wisconsin Medicaid Program.
The goals of MAPP are to:
- Encourage people with disabilities to earn more income without risking loss of health and long-term care coverage.
- Allow people with disabilities to save more towards retirement or home ownership.
- Increase the ability of people with disabilities to purchase and receive services that enhance independence.
Read more on the Medicaid Purchase Plan…
Do you need child care in order to work?
You may qualify for childcare funding if your children are with a licensed or certified provider and you meet the income requirements. Give your child quality care! Contact Washburn County at 1-888-814-5330.
- Provider Certification: Contact Washburn County at 715-468-4747.
- Authorizations and payments: Contact Washburn County at 715-468-4747
Wisconsin Works (W-2): NEED HELP?
The mission of W-2 is to help people get jobs and to advance in the workforce.
Temporary financial aid or case management assistance may be available to help your family through a crisis. Participation in job programs is required to help you achieve financial independence.
Contact Workforce Resource at 1-855-792-5439.
Energy Assistance Program
Wisconsin's Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (WHEAP) helps you pay for the cost of heating your home.
- WHEAP Heating Assistance is a one-time benefit payment for each heating season (October 1 through May 15), WHEAP is intended to help you pay a portion of your heating costs. It is not intended to cover the entire annual cost of heating your home.
- Crisis Assistance. If you have no heat; if you have received a disconnect notice from your heating fuel dealer; or if you are nearly out of heating fuel and do not have any way to pay for heating needs, you may be eligible for Crisis Assistance. WHEAP Crisis Assistance provides both Emergency Services and Proactive Services. If you experience an emergency outside of normal business hours, please call the Washburn County Sheriff’s Department at 715-468-4700. During regular business hours of 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., call Human Services at 715-468-4747.
- Emergency Services may help you during the heating season by:
- Purchasing heating fuel, or
- Providing a warm place for you to stay for a few days, or
- Provides furnace/boiler repair or replacement to eligible homeowners, or
- Other actions that will help you in a heating emergency
- Proactive Services may help you throughout the year to avoid future emergencies by:
- Providing training and information on how to reduce your fuel costs, or
- Counseling you on budgets and money management, or
- Providing payments to your fuel supplier when you agree to a co-payment, or
- Other actions to help you avoid future emergencies.
Read more Wisconsin Home Energy…
Back to list
Washburn County Housing
|Birch Haven Manor||715-635-2321||Birchwood|
|Evergreen Apts||715-236-2366||Shell Lake|
|Lakeland Manor||715-465-2730||Shell Lake|
|The Pines Apts||715-635-4644||Spooner|
|Rural Housing Authority||1-608-238-3448||FAX: 608-238-2084|
|Shell Lake Housing Auth.||715-468-2730|
|Shell Lake Shores||715-468-4493||Shell Lake|
|Spooner Housing Auth.||715-635-2808|
|West Side Manor||715-635-2321||Shell Lake|
|Washburn County Housing Auth||715-635-2321|