WI Home Energy Assistance Program (WHEAP)

How to Apply

Households must complete a Home Energy Plus application through the local WHEAP agency.

For more information on the Wisconsin Home Energy Assistance Program (WHEAP) and how to apply, please call Washburn County Human Services at (715) 468-4782.

From October 1 - May 15, you can apply for energy assistance by:

  1. Email us at WHEAP@co.washburn.wi.us and request an application be emailed to you
  2. You can visit homeenergyplus.wi.gov website and download Long Form Application
  3. You can call agency to request a paper application OR schedule an appointment (by phone or in person). Call 715-468-4747

          *** FIRST TIME applicant(s) MUST make a face to face appointment and have a photo ID***

Whether you apply by appointment or by paper application, you must provide the following verifications:

  • Social Security numbers and birthdates for ALL household members.
  • Yearly total of heating and electric costs along with recent account information. You can obtain this information from your vendors.
  • If you have not lived at your current address for a full year, please bring in your most recent heat and electric bill
  • If your heat is included in your rent or paid directly to your landlord, it is required that we see a copy of your lease agreement or a statement from your landlord, complete with the landlords’ name, address and phone number.
  • Applicants must provide proof of income for everyone in the household for 3 months prior to the application month. For example, if you are applying in the month of October, we will need income from July, August and September. Remember income is counted for the month in which you RECEIVED it, not in which you EARNED it. Any income received must be within the three month test period.
  • To verify Social Security Income you must provide either an award letter or 1099 statement.
  • If you are Self Employed you will need to provide your recent tax return, including your Schedule C with your application.

WHEAP Program Descriptions

WHEAP provides assistance for electric costs, heating costs and energy crisis situations. WHEAP provides assistance to households across the state to help lower the burden of monthly energy costs.

  • WHEAP Heating Assistance is a one-time benefit payment for each heating season (October 1 through May 15), WHEAP is intended to help you pay a portion of your heating costs. It is not intended to cover the entire annual cost of heating your home.
  • Electric Assistance (non-heating) assistance is a one-time benefit (October 1 through May 15), which pays for a portion of your electrical (non-heating) costs. It is not intended to cover the entire annual cost of the non-heating costs.
  • Crisis Assistance. If you have no heat; if you have received a disconnect notice from your heating vendor; or if you are nearly out of heating fuel and do not have any way to pay for heating needs, you may be eligible for Crisis Assistance. WHEAP Crisis Assistance provides both Emergency Services and Proactive Services.
  • Furnace Assistance can provide eligible home owners if the furnace or boiler stops working during the heating season. Assistance can include: payments for repairs, or in some situation your residence may qualify for a total replacement of a non-operating furnace or boiler.

**If you experience an emergency outside of normal business hours, please contact Washburn County Sheriff's Dept. at 715-468-4700.  Regular business hours  M-F 8:00am to 4:30pm call Human Services at 715-468-4747.**

  • Emergency Services may help you during the heating season by:
    1. Purchasing heating fuel, or
    2. Providing a warm place for you to stay for a few days, or
    3. Provides furnace/boiler repair or replacement to eligible homeowners, or
    4. Other actions that will help you in a heating emergency
  • Proactive Services may help you throughout the year to avoid future emergencies by:
    1. Providing training and information on how to reduce your fuel costs, or
    2. Counseling you on budgets and money management, or
    3. Providing payments to your fuel supplier when you agree to a co-payment, or
    4. Other actions to help you avoid future emergencies.

Read more at Wisconsin Home Energy... www.homeenergyplus.wi.gov