Zoning Permits

Are Zoning Permits Required?

A zoning permit (land-use) permit is required before any structure is erected, placed, moved, expanded or structurally altered. In 2015, the Wisconsin Legislature expanded the definition of a "structure"; therefore the following structures need permits, even if they are portable: dwellings, accessory buildings (larger than 64 square feet), farm structures, additions, bunk houses, guest cabins, boat houses, mobile homes, concrete slabs, patios, decks, retaining walls, stairways, walkways/sidewalks and firepits. Structures that do not need permits must still be placed to meet setbacks. If you are not sure if your project requires a permit, contact the zoning office before you build.

Individual towns may require permits for some activities. Check with your town while you are planning your project.