To qualify for a Domestic Partnership, you must:
- Be partners of the same sex, unmarried, not currently in a Domestic Partnership and not related closer than 2nd cousins
- Be over 18 years of age and mentally competent
- Share or intend to share a common residence
To obtain a Domestic Partnership, you must apply in the Clerk’s Office and present:
- Your Driver’s License or State ID card.
- A certified copy of your birth certificate
- Social Security card
- A Divorce Decree or Death Certificate from your last previous marriage, or Proof of Termination of any previous Domestic Partnership at least 90 days prior.
- Your address and telephone number
The fee is $75 and there is a 5 day waiting period until the Domestic Partnership is issued. You must both sign the application.
Once the Declaration of Partnership is issued, you are responsible for signing the document before a notary and then filing the document with the County Register of Deeds. The Partnership becomes effective on the date the Register of Deeds records the document.
Termination of Domestic Partnership
To Terminate a Domestic Partnership you must:
- Terminate it in the County where the original Partnership was obtained.
- Complete and sign a Notice of Termination of Domestic Partnership
- If one partner desires to terminate, they must complete an Affidavit of Notification to Terminate (unless it is due to the marriage of the other partner).
- Sign the Notice of Termination before a notary.
There is a $75 fee but no waiting period between completing the Notice and receiving the Certificate of Termination. You are responsible for filing the Certificate of Termination with the County Register of Deeds. The Termination is effective 90 days from the date the document is recorded. If the Termination is filed do to the marriage on one of the partners, the Termination takes effect on the date of the marriage.